Dry sump problem

To: vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Dry sump problem
From: Dr G W Owen <ensgwo@bath.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 1998 16:30:39 +0100 (BST)
I am having a problem with the dry sump scavenge on 6 litre engine when
teh oil gets hot (85 degrees plus). I have three main theories. Any
suggestions as to the likehood would be much appreciated
1. The pump is knackered (thought unlikely)
2. The oil filter (full flow type) for some reason is not of sufficient
capaacity
3. I have some rubber tube on the scavenge side of the return pumps. This
could be internally collapsing (no external evidence). A bit like sucking
too hard on a thick shake!

My feeling is that it is #2, but I dont know if pumping the air/oil
mixture through a filter designed to take just oil is a problem. And if so
why should it be temp dependant?

Any ideas

Geraint Owen