Re: Winkleman's Stories

To: simon@mondes.com, vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Winkleman's Stories
From: MHKitchen@aol.com
Date: Fri, 9 Oct 1998 11:32:26 EDT
Simon;

Great stories....Yes, you did misspell Winkelmann.  He is a character.  I've
gotten to know him well through the Cortina crowd.  As may or may not know, he
campaigned Lotus Cortina's in the Trans Am with unofficial backing from Ford.
He still owns several, one of which has been recently restored and he's
vintage raced it.  Another of his cars is consecutive serial numbers with
mine.  His place in Muir Beach is full of his character, and lots of his old
car bits (he even has a couple of old fire engines he plans to restore, along
with an old fishing boat and other odds and ends).

I recently went to his 70th Birthday bash (see photos at
http://members.tripod.com/~muirbeach/index.html ).  I noticed his place was
fixed up.  He had refinished the entire exterior of his house by HAND SANDING
it to bare wood (from years and years of paint!!), and then varnished it!!!!
I don't know how long it took him, but it had to have been a major
undertaking....

Another lesser known fact is he assisted Craig Breedlove in the redesign of
his land speed car, and has been with him on a number of the record
attempts.....

Bob is a very kind, interesting and wonderful guy, and I'm proud to know him.

Regards,
Myles