Re: Winkleman's Stories

To: <vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Winkleman's Stories
From: "Tony Clark" <lotus.tony@airmail.net>
Date: Fri, 9 Oct 1998 15:47:47 -0500
I don't know Winkelman but I've heard good stories.  I _can_ speak for the
fact that he had at least one outstandingly cool dealer:  Rod Kennedy in
Texas.  Rod's main enterprise was a sports car oriented nightspot called the
"Checkered Flag" in downtown Austin.  All in the same building and in more
or less connected areas, there was a restuarant, live country and folk music
nightclub/bar, and a sport car "museum" which might be showing a Jim Hall
Chaparral, a '35 Maseratti Formula car, an RS Porsche and a Birdcage
Maseratti.  There was a "boutique" of all the sports car groupie stuff and,
off to one side,  you might have found, as I did, a couple of earnest young
men prepping a pair of Winkelman formula cars . . . about midnight on a
Saturday night.

Tony