RE: Leaf springs

To: "'Malcolm Cox'" <malcox@napanet.net>,
Subject: RE: Leaf springs
From: SOLOW GREG <gregmogdoc@surfnetusa.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 1998 00:33:00 -0800
Malcolm,  In the owners manuals that come with Morgans,  there are =
instructions to regularly "paint the leaf springs with motor oil" to =
keep them lubricated.  That sounded a little messy to me, so we ussually =
pry the leaves apart by driving a screw driver between them as a wedge, =
and then squirt in some 90 EP gear oil.  Doing a good job of lubing the =
springs absolutly  and dramatically improves the ride on a street car.  =
It also increases the load on the shocks ( or as they are more accuratly =
called dampers).   Since the friction between the leaves has a damping =
effect on the motion or the springs, when you remove thois friction you =
have lost somne damping action.  The shock's damping action is very =
velocity sensitive. This means that  the greater the bump or movement =
the more resistence the shock should offer.  This will occure if the =
shocks are set up and are opperating properly.  On a Morgan, when we =
lubricate the spring, we also stiffen the shock.  This actually results =
in a smoolther ride over small road irregularities and better resistance =
to "bottoming" the suspension on big bumps.=20
                                                              Regards, =
Greg Solow ( blue Morgan # 45)