Re: Leaf springs

To: Marc Robertson <marc@blackberry-ridge.com>
Subject: Re: Leaf springs
From: Brian Evans <brian@uunet.ca>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 1998 09:33:13 -0500
Rusty springs develop stress risers, and then crack.  Happened to me on our
MGB, sounded like a flat tire at the time.  Good idea to keep them lubed,
but if they're already toast then new ones are, in my opinion, pretty cheap,
and not incrediblly obnoxious to install...

brian

At 08:47 AM 10/29/98 -0500, you wrote:
>Early Corvettes with steel tranverse leaf springs in the back had
>plastic pieces between each leaf.  These are readily available because
>of all the restoration going on and might provide the raw material you
>are after.  I believe they are about $7. each.
>
>One source is:
>
>        http://zip-corvette.com/
>
>Marc Robertson
>marc@blackberry-ridge.com
>

>Derek Palmer wrote:
>>
>> Listers,
>>
>> Just to add a bit.  I had a long discussion with
>> a Austin Healey guy about my leaf springs and got
>> a similar answer.  The only thing I would add is
>> I was told that there is a teflon like material
>> you can cut in strips and lay between each leaf of
>> you spring.  This guy had it done and said the car
>> handle far better that before.  Haven't had my springs
>> done yet, so I can't speak from personal experience.
>> You might ask you spring technician about this.  He
>> may have heard of it.

Brian Evans
Director, Carrier Sales
UUNET, an MCI WorldCom Company