Re: Paint and such

To: <rebjrmd@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: Paint and such
From: "Tony Clark" <lotus.tony@airmail.net>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 1998 15:38:21 -0600
Oops!  I should have done a better job on that . . .  "Metal Prep" is what
they call it at the paint and body shops and auto paint supply sources
around here . . . It's what they mop on bare metal . . . even when there's
light surface rust  . . . to etch and stop any possibility of rust survival
. . . If I've got it right, it's active ingredient is a highly dilute
phosphoric acid and the action is that of converting the oxides to
phosphates . . which are stable and totally prevent rust from reoccurring as
well as giving a good surface for the epoxy paint adhesion.  I've used it on
trailers and farm equipment as well as vintage Lotus chassis parts for years
and it is magic.  Do the soap and water wash first, any oil or grease will
mask the action.   You allow it to "work" overnight and then just wipe it
down with a rag lightly moistened with metal prep, let dry and paint.   The
beauty of the Zynolyte is that you can sand and touchup any chips that ever
happen . . .not very easy with powder or POR 15.
Cheers,
Tony