Re: Log book ????

To: "Brinkmann, Gerardo V" <brinkg@uf4124p01.BHeightsNJ.ncr.com>
Subject: Re: Log book ????
From: Brian Evans <brian@uunet.ca>
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 1999 08:03:36 -0500
At VARAC, in Canada, we get normal CASC logbooks.  Since we have a staff of
scrutineers who are both VARAC members AND CASC licensed officials (I am
one, coincidentially), we usually get logbooks issued by a VARAC guy when
the new car first comes out.  Same procedure as regional or national cars,
but to our safety rules as agreed with CASC.

The differences in our safety rules are largely in the roll cage area for
production based cars - we aren't required to have quite as much cage as the
modern racers.  We do require fuel cells for all cars, though, which CASC
does not.  The rules aren't exclusionary - we're allowed to go up to the
CASC spec for cages if we want to, as long as we don't get into "tube
framing", which we interpret as tying the cage into suspension pickup
points, and so on.  The upgrade that makes the most sense to me is adding
door bars and front hoops to roll cages, which we don't require in our
minimum standards.

Brian