Rocker Arm Ratio

To: <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: Rocker Arm Ratio
From: "Neil Cotty" <neilc@tradesrv.com.au>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 12:44:30 +1000
Hi all,

I've been lurking for a while, and this is my first post. I'm in the middle
of building a motor for my first season of Vintage racing, and have a number
of questions. I'm new to all this stuff so please bear with me! :)

I'm currently working on a 'theoretical' camshaft. We will have the head
flow benched, after modification, to settle on a valve lift - then choose
our cam lift. One of the variables is the physical rocker arm ratio - I'm
using the std MGB rocker arms - not roller rockers. This ratio was quoted by
the factory at 1.426 however advice from people who have checked these
figures on many many motors, say that they are actually a lot lower and vary
greatly from motor to motor. I'm aware of the 'effective rocker arm ratio'
as mentioned at mgbmga.com, but I need to work out where my arms are at
before they even start to move - so I can at least calculate the indicated
ratio and work from there. Can someone advise me of a method to measure
these things up? :)

Cheers,
Neil.
--
Neil Cotty, Sydney Australia
1970 MG B GT / 1959 MG A 1600 MK1 / 1956 AH 100/4 BN2