Re: Diff Differences...

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Diff Differences...
From: Malcolm Cox <malcox@napanet.net>
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 1999 23:14:39 -0800
> <I found that the dual bearing rear hubs made the stock axles last far
> <longer, to the point of not actually breaking.  The problem with the axles
> <is flexing at the weld at the flange end, it seems.

Broke 2 shafts in one day, same hub, on an MGA, similar problem, after I
replaced
the worn bearing housing, the replacement shafts have lasted well over a season
with 2 drivers.

I believe that if the loose bearing cannot not resist the leverage of the
cornering forces at the shaft center, then the flange has to.
Malcolm Cox, Napa,