Re: MGB exhaust pipe / muffler

To: larryhoy@cwix.com
Subject: Re: MGB exhaust pipe / muffler
From: RodsINTOMG@aol.com
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 11:55:58 EST

<<
 At the present time I am running a straight exhaust on my 1967 MGB vintage
 racer.  No muffler and the pipe exits just in front of the left rear wheel.

 It's time to install a muffler, I'm not looking for a "street" quite
 muffler, but one that will let me sneak around the block once in awhile and
 still keep the neighbors at bay.  I'll also be installing a new tail pipe.
 I plan to take it to a muffler shop here locally, one where the owner is a
 race car owner [not vintage, Detroit stuff].

 I am looking for any input from this list as to pipe diameter, length,
 routing, etc.

 TIA

 Larry Hoy, Denver, CO USA
 1970 Daily Driver ~ 1967 Vintage Racer ~ 1969 Undergoing V8 conversion
 http://home.cwix.com/~larryhoy@cwix.com/

 Larry,

I vintage race a 1964 MGB roadster with a factory hardtop.  I have a 3 branch
header that goes into a 2" exhaust pipe via a slip joint.  The pipe runs to
just past the rear axle where I attach another length of 2" pipe again via a
slip joint for racing (thus making a straight pipe).  If I want to run the car
on the street I remove the rear part of the paip and install a SuperTrap
muffler.  Fits fine ( with slight modification) and sounds okay.  Best of both
worlds and only two "U" clamps to fuss with.

Rod Schweiger