Re: MGB exhaust pipe / muffler

To: larryhoy@cwix.com
Subject: Re: MGB exhaust pipe / muffler
From: RodsINTOMG@aol.com
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 11:22:59 EST

<<
 Are you saying the tail pipe is routed under the rear axle, and not over it?

Larry,

I routed the 2" pipe under the rear axle.  It's low and the car is low (60
series tires and a 1 1/2" lower job from new front coils and lowering blocks
in the rear with GT rear springs) but is still a usable ground clearence.

I made my own pipe out a standard 2" exhaust tubing.  I had a primitive tubing
bender from Harbor Freight and made my own bends.  If you go to a muffler shop
they can do a much better job.  You want to remember two things:  Don't let
the muffler shop weld everything up, you want to be able to remove the exhaust
system so that you can pull the engine/trans.  If you run a header, you will
almost have to remove the exhaust system.  Second, when the muffler shop makes
the bend under the rear axle, do it with the rear axle hanging to get the
proper fit so that axle dosen't hit the pipe if the car goes airborn.
Finally, the SuperTrap is available from Summit Racing catalog.  I made one
modification which I think is neat.

If you just bolt on the SuperTrap you will notice that you will have to take
tin snips and open up the radius for the exhaust in the rear valance.  To
avoid this I made a spacer.  You can take the baffel plate off the muffler and
extend it with a 6" pice of 2" pipe and two adapter rings that you can buy
from SuperTrap or that you can make using the baffle plate as a pattern.  Weld
the two adapter plates, one to either side on the 6" pipe and bolt it between
the muffler and the baffel plate.  You now have an extension that will allow
you to mount the muffler in the stock location and have the baffels out beyond
the valance to be held in place by the stock exhaust hanger.

I hope this all makes sense. Good luck,

Rod