Re: Clevis Bolt for Formula Ford

To: Larry Best <ljbest@prodigy.net>
Subject: Re: Clevis Bolt for Formula Ford
From: Derek Harling <derek.lola@sympatico.ca>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 09:30:17 -0500
Larry

I appreciate your input - my phrase "piece of bent steel" was a bit
light hearted and has upset a few people - sorry. I do appreciate the
importance of the clevis bolt [and in fact every piece of suspension].

I was simply basing my recommendation on the Lola design which has stood
the test of time for over 1/4 century now [up to and including F5000 and
DFV sports racers] and which we have replicated several times. At one
time Lola went to a one piece machined from solid clevis bolt but
quickly reverted to the fabricated design.

One very important element of the Lola design is that the bends in the
steel have a radius and are not sharp corners [which would of course be
stress raisers].

I'll be taking a look at the first Titans I can this spring!

I do agree that if you don't know what you are doing on suspension parts
- then don't.

Derek