Formula junior A-series

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Formula junior A-series
From: Brian Evans <brian@uunet.ca>
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 1999 11:04:20 -0400
What I wrote this morning about the FJ a-series motors brought a thought
(gasp!) to mind, that would be a great and probably legal everywhere upgrade
to any 1275 cc a-series motor.  These all have (I think, at least) the
bosses on the back of the block casting that started life as the scavenge
pump ports for the FJ engines.  Even some of the small bore motors might
have the bosses.  What you could do is plug the stock oil way from the pan
pickup to the stock oil pump, drill into it on either side of the plug and
plumb in an external scavenge pump that could be belt driven and mounted on
the side of the engine.  Then, you could use the stock oil pump as the
pressure pump.  The advantage would be you could have a 4 to 6 quart
external oil tank that would ensure the engine always had a supply of
de-aerated oil and you wouldn't be running a dry sump - just an external oil
tank!  If you put windage plates into a stock oil pan, you probably could
keep most of the oil  off the crank, too.  I bet Mini's could run this with
a big increase in reliablility, and you could have a coarse filter to trap
all the metal bits that come off the transmission in those cars!

I think this would work.  In fact, I might put one on the street midget that
I'll build sometime in the next ten years!

Brian
Brian Evans
Director, Global Sales
UUNET, An MCI WorldCom Company