Re: motor I.D.

To: brian@uunet.ca, derek.lola@sympatico.ca
Subject: Re: motor I.D.
From: JWoesvra@aol.com
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 1999 11:20:10 EDT
In a message dated 8/4/99 10:07:13 AM Eastern Daylight Time, brian@uunet.ca
writes:

<< There were a number of these engines around in the day, but they are pretty
 rare now.  The special cam required to drive the dry-sump pump might be a
 problem to find, but the block could be drilled to allow a normal wet sump
 configuration to work.  Oliver has one of the special dry sump pumps if
 anyone is interested.  We know of about three of these engines about in this
 area of Canada (mostly in David Cronenberg's Cooper FJ).  My own suspicion
 is that these engines were supplied to Cooper for his FJ cars, and possible
 to a few others, but not to the general public. >>

I haven't been following this too closely so I hope I don't give redundant
info. I have run across several of these (XSP) engines and associated parts
over the years. One is in the ex-works Cooper T59 that now belongs to Frank
Rupp. Dave Taber (jr) has several of the dry sump pumps still in original
boxes left to him by his Dad.

There are many different heads with unusual features. One had the center
exhaust port cast with a divider that separated the ports making it into a
6-port head. I also had the corresponding header. I think Frank has it now.

By today's standards, all of these are obsolete. Much more power will come
from a properly flowed 1300 head which can be fitted to the smaller engines.

Most of the factory competition cams such as the pin drive 649 have the extra
gear to drive the dry sump pump.

Semi-interesting but useless trivia from Jack Woehrle