Re: benefits of synthetic oil?

To: vintage-race-digest@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: benefits of synthetic oil?
From: CarterCM@aol.com
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 22:03:07 EDT

In a message dated 8/18/1999 4:36:09 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
agallo@pcfl.net writes:

<< While this response is assembled from second party sources
 whom I'll at least try to footnote, the argument about synthetic
 oils I do believe leans strongly in the direction of racing with 'em.>>

I'll add my $.02 worth of experience...
$.01...When I was off-road racing in the late '70s, I first heard of
synthetics from my engine builder, who was also a mechanical engineer, and
insisted I use it. He said "Because of the increased film strength, you could
probably run for quite a while with no oil pressure." He was right...one race
we punched out your oil pan on a rock and still made it to the next pit over
5 miles away with no apparent engine damage."
$.02...I've kept Mobil-1 in my '87 Jeep Cherokee since it was new; engine,
trans, transfer case, & both diffs. It now has over 220,000 miles and runs
like new...never had the head off, good compression, no trans work, and the
posi clutch packs have modest wear :-)

Craig Carter
Fountain Valley, CA
Datsun DP Roadsters (in progress)