Re: copper head gaskets

To: Brian Evans <brian@uunet.ca>, Derek Harling <derek.lola@sympatico.ca>
Subject: Re: copper head gaskets
From: "B. Whiting" <110420.3466@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 23:30:45 -0400

Message text written by Derek Harling

"Brian

I inquired about solid copper head gaskets to reduce the cost factor for
my Cosworth BDD. Real Cosworth stuff is even more expensive now that
Ford has bought them. However I'm told that "they don't work too well"
with racing c/r unless you also use a "wire ring in groove" around each
cylinder - and that of course is even more expensive than using the
Cosworth gasket.

However there are probably other opinions.

Derek

"

It's very easy actually to make a groove for a wire ring. I did this
regularly for my racing Fiat 850 Spyder. I was able to cut the groove by
hand with a very simple device that was made to fit the bore. I then used a
copper wire in the groove. It definitely solved blown head gaskets. I was
able to win the Conference title that year.

Dr. Bruce A. Whiting