Re: crack-up at the historics

To: Susan and John Roper <vscjohn@huntnet.net>
Subject: Re: crack-up at the historics
From: Stephen Sorenson <math1@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 19:23:46 -0700
John,

I ran the prehistorics last weekend and had a similar situation occur, but
without contact.
I came out of turn eleven behind a Camaro. As we approached the start/finish
line the
Camaro was given the passing advisory flag, and I began to pass on the Camaro's
left (to
the inside).  Approaching turn one, we were side-by-side when the Camaro pulled
to the
left.  This forced me onto the road from the pit to the track.  The Camaro kept
coming
left- pushing me within inches of the wall.

On the surface, the pass was a good pass, but my car sits lower than the
Camaro, and he
just did not see me.  So, I agree with you that it is acceptable to pass on the
inside at
turn one, but I will not do it again.  For those who try it, I recommend that
the
over-taking driver be sure that the driver of the car being passed knows that
you are there
because many drivers pull to the left to get all the way to the apex of turn
one.

Steve