Re: copper head gaskets

To: "B. Whiting" <110420.3466@compuserve.com>
Subject: Re: copper head gaskets
From: Brian Evans <brian@uunet.ca>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 09:08:46 -0400
thanks, actually.  I have decided to try a copper head gasket with a head
that I have that's just a little too small for the bottom end that I'm
putting it on.  Since I have several tons of metalworking equipment in the
shop, I decided to make one my self, and it turned out quite well, although
it took almost 6 hours to make.  The material ain't cheap either, so for
those in the US (land of cheap shipping and no customs duty, PST or GST) I
wouldn't hesitate to buy one rather than fabricate your own.  But your note
has lit the little light bulb in my brain (such as it is) so that I now
will make up a tool to fit inside and over the bore, with a HSS lathe tool
attached to o-ring the deck.  What gauge of copper wire is used?

Thanks again.
brian

At 11:30 PM 08/29/1999 -0400, you wrote:

>-------------------- Begin Original Message --------------------
>
>Message text written by Derek Harling
>
>"Brian
>
>I inquired about solid copper head gaskets to reduce the cost factor for
>my Cosworth BDD. Real Cosworth stuff is even more expensive now that
>Ford has bought them. However I'm told that "they don't work too well"
>with racing c/r unless you also use a "wire ring in groove" around each
>cylinder - and that of course is even more expensive than using the
>Cosworth gasket.
>
>However there are probably other opinions.
>
>Derek
>
>"

>It's very easy actually to make a groove for a wire ring. I did this
>regularly for my racing Fiat 850 Spyder. I was able to cut the groove by
>hand with a very simple device that was made to fit the bore. I then used a
>copper wire in the groove. It definitely solved blown head gaskets. I was
>able to win the Conference title that year.
>

>Dr. Bruce A. Whiting

Brian Evans
Director, Global Sales
UUNET, An MCI WorldCom Company