Re: Trailer Sway - Two Thoughts

To: DGreimel@aol.com
Subject: Re: Trailer Sway - Two Thoughts
From: Brian Evans <brian@uunet.ca>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 1999 10:11:40 -0400
I've always put it down to the engine/gearbox getting into the power band
of the motor - towards max HP, possibly above max torque.  Wind drag won't
reduce in total at a higher speed, although I could be convinced that the
distribution between the truck and trailer changes.   But the truck still
has to pull the whole load no matter what (as long as you're not drafting a
tractor-trailer combination).

At 05:17 AM 10/29/1999 -0400, you wrote:
>Has anyone else noticed that trailers get easier to pull above about 73 MPH?
>My last two, 14 and 24 ft. have both been that way.  I attribute it to wind
>drag. It seems as though the trailer "drafts" the tow vehicle. When towing my
>14' with an Astro Van I could reduce throttle preasure about 50% when we got
>past 73 MPH.
>The present set up is a 24' towed with a pickup and is not as dramatic, but
>then the 454 doesn`t work very hard to begin with.
>Don

Brian Evans
Director, Global Sales
UUNET, An MCI WorldCom Company