Re: 350 for towing?

To: derek.lola@sympatico.ca, ibexbob@ptdprolog.net
Subject: Re: 350 for towing?
From: Oddcarnut@aol.com
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 20:42:00 EDT

<< Well - has anyone else tried all three - Ford, Chevy and Dodge - recently?
 I maybe a Chrysler retiree ("maybe"? - I AM one) but - >>

I've had at least one of each flavor full size van.  One Dodge w/318 & the
other w/360.  Chevies with 305 & 350.  Ford w/302.  All had factory tow
packages and A/T.

Both Dodges were better for towing in terms of pulling power and loaded
handling than either of the others.  The 360 would run down traffic towing
4500 lbs of race car & stuff in a 20' box going up Fancy Gap on I-77.  The
318 in a Maxivan w/4.11 gears never had difficulty doing the speed limit
anywhere with open or box trailers behind it.  Gas mileage towing was better
with the Dodges but empty mileage was worse.

The Ford was next best in overall towing performance.  Not as strong pulling
up hill as either Dodge and a little less stable loaded up.

The 305 Chevy in a 1500 van is at the bottom of the list.  Reliable but bog
slow with the box behind it.  And the chassis seemed like a wimp.  The 350 in
a 2500 was a bit better, about the same as the Ford.

There's my $0.02

Ken Payne