Re: 350 for towing?

To: S800Racer@aol.com
Subject: Re: 350 for towing?
From: RodsINTOMG@aol.com
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 18:17:09 EDT

<<
     This seems to be a common theme for Fords.  I had an Aerostar with the
 4.0 V-6.  Great motor with good torque and after 120,000 miles didn't even
 use oil.  But the trans. had been completely rebuilt once and it was on it's
 4th flywheel.
 </XMP> >>

One of my former high school auto shop students is now a full-time tech in a
very large Ford dealer in San Francisco.  He tells me that Ford rates their
engines at 100,000 miles + and their transmissions just enough to make it
through warrenty.  Are we surprised?  I can remember when an engine with 50
or 60 k miles was considered over-the-hill.  Lubrication, and engine
technology has greatly advanced throught the industry, not so transmission
development.

Rod Schweiger
K-1500 tow vehicle on 2nd trans at 148k miles - and that's considered good!