Re: 350 for towing?

To: "Jack W. Drews" <vinttr4@geneseo.net>, vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 350 for towing?
From: Brian Evans <brian@uunet.ca>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 09:37:16 -0400
I'm currently towing with a 2000 Chev Express van, 2500 series, 3.7 axle,
with the 350 Vortec with about 250 Hp (I don't know what vintage your van
is).  This tows my 20' enclosed trailer just fine, only struggles a bit in
30 mph head winds.  Big advantages are that the 2500 has pretty stout
suspension - so the trailer doesn't cause the rear end to dip badly or push
the van around.  There is a heavy duty transmission and axle that comes
with the 2500 package too.  Also, there is no trailer upgrade to speak of -
the factory trailer package consists of prewiring and a hitch, and that's
all.  I'd say that as long as you're within the posted weight limits and
use reese bars, you'll be fine.

As an aside, I used trucks and tahoes to pull for years - picked the van
'cause it had comfortable seating for a lot more people than an extended
cab pickup, was actually smallert exterior and bigger load ability, and
cost about 60% of what a Tahoe or Suburban would have been - huge savings
offset by rather pedestrian interior trimming.

Brian

At 07:08 PM 08/14/2000 -0400, Jack W. Drews wrote:
>What's the wisdom of the list -- will a full size Chevy van with a 350
>comfortably pull an enclosed trailer?
>
>--
>
>TR6 -- 29 and still running
>TR4 -- 39 but no longer racing