Tow Vehicles

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Tow Vehicles
From: Teamvortex@aol.com
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 23:19:37 EDT
OK, gotta chime in.

We towed a Pace 16 footer at max (7000lbs) with a Dodge B1500 MiniRam van
(318, 109" wheelbase) for 50,000 miles.   Normally I cruised at 65 to 68 on
more or less flat roads down here. We had gotten 160,000 miles on our first
Dodge van (pre-race trailer), so we bought another sight unseen to tow with.
Ordered the whole tow package for it from the factory. Well, the first
transmission was on Dodge, the second was on us and when it looked like a
third was coming up we quit. Otherwise, we loved it. 20,000 miles between
major overhauls is way too much money.

Traded it in on a Ford F350 turbo diesel, crew cab, std bed, single rear
wheel pickup. We added a topper to give the Excursions some size envy. The
impression after 16,000 miles is that there is NO substitute for TORQUE!!!
500 lb-ft at 1600 moves it right smartly. (Go IH) We now cruise at 75 (2100
rpm) and still get 15 mpg. Rides great. I'm worried about the comments on
transmissions though (we got the automatic), so time will tell. For now,
"Truckzilla rules"......

ps- my wife likes it better than her 'Vette !

Rich Ernst

TeamVortex Racing
'68 Zink Z5 FVee
'99 VDF-1 FVee