Re: [ckrug@laf.cioe.com: Laguna Seca]

To: ckrug@laf.cioe.com
Subject: Re: [ckrug@laf.cioe.com: Laguna Seca]
From: Simon Favre <simon@mondes.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 11:34:41 -0700
It isn't really a bump, but if you're going fast enough, it is. ;=) You
crest a hill between 7 and 8a, right in the middle of the braking zone.
It is true that you need to be aimed properly when you start braking or
the results are ugly. What I was told when I did the Russell Racing school
at Laguna was to make the car go as close as possible to the left wall in
7, so your approach to the top of the Corkscrew would be straight into
the braking zone. The Corkscrew is the slowest and least important turn
on the race track, that is, unless your name is Alex Zanardi. ;=) There's
just no point in overcooking the Corkscrew. The 9-10-11 complex is much
more important, because they get you set up for the long front straight.
If you screw up 9, you'll be out of place for 10, which needs to be taken
well so you're set up for 11. I have driven Laguna a few times in my
Formula Junior, in addition to the Russell Formula Fords. IMO, the most
important turns at Laguna are 4, 5, and 11. 11 sets you up for the front
straight, and 4 sets you up for the back straight. You can lose an awful
lot of speed going uphill if you don't take 5 properly. 3 is a very sneaky
turn, because it's absolutely flat, and you have to rotate the car more
than 90 degrees. Take it like a 90 degree turn and you'll run out of
track! For me, 9 is the hardest to master because it's downhill, and it's
got lots of pucker factor. ;=)

I used to play the old Indycar II game, which had Laguna as one of its
tracks. In a car with that much power, it is a delicate proposition
getting the car slowed down enough for the Corkscrew. Once you turn in,
it's a connect-the-dots line from berm to berm, then upshift and
accelerate into 9. In my real race car, I have to brake before 9 because
I have skinny tires and no downforce.