Screw Threads (was BSP to NPT fittings)

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Screw Threads (was BSP to NPT fittings)
From: Derek Harling <derek.lola@sympatico.ca>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 20:54:30 -0400
> NO! BSP and NPT do NOT have the same Threads per Inch.
> I think that the English just
> went one thread off to confuse us over here.

Reminds of the recent research by NASA (or some similar organization)
into improved thread shape for high stress bolt applications.  SAE Grade
8 etc obviously didn't make it; some of you maybe surprised to find
neither AS not MS made it - they actually recommended a "new" thread
form which to all intents and purposes was the same as good old
Whitworth! The 19th century strikes back.

I'm sure I got the gist of the story right - maybe someone can correct
the details.

Derek