Re: Transplants

To: dipstickdigest@ctaz.com
Subject: Re: Transplants
From: DWhitesdJr@aol.com
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2000 09:04:36 EST
In a message dated 12/1/00 1:24:37 AM Central Standard Time,
dipstickdigest@ctaz.com writes:

<<  How about the D type
 > > that ran at Westwood, fitted with a big block Chev motor
 > Or the Ferrari Testarossa that Neil Cargyle (Nashville, TN) ran in SCCA
 > C Mod in the late 50s and 60s with a Corvette Fuelie engine after
 > telling Chinetti where to go when the second engine blew up. Or the
 > Maserati 300S I found in a barn in Brockton, MA in '73 that had been
 > raced with a 400 ci Pontiac? >>

A D Type, Ferrari or Maserati with that type of documented hybrid history
would be welcomed by any group, but the reality is that you will never see
it, because the cars are worth much more with their original type engines.
All the Ferrari, Maserati and D Jag hybrids from the 1950s and 1960s have
been "restored" to their original specs.  Even more mundane hybrids like
Dizzy Ascotts (sp?) and Henry Payne's BOP powered Lotus 15s have been
returned to their original Coventry Climax FPF configuration.  The question
is an interesting one, but the real world it does not exist.

There are still specials like the Ardent Alligator, the Old Yellar series and
the original Cheetah which run with groups that insist on period prepared
standards, but I suspect most of those groups would have problems with a new
car "created" to meet those standards.

David