Re: Transplants

To: dipstickdigest@ctaz.com, hayes@mediaone.net, vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Transplants
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2000 10:37:04 EST
In a message dated 11/30/00 11:22:39 PM Pacific Standard Time,
dipstickdigest@ctaz.com writes:

> , Huffaker

Do you mean the Twincam engine in the Healey 100 that was designed by Mr.
Hunter, who later was convinced that MG stole the idea from him for use in
the MGA Twincam?  I think there were 3 running engines, but it is a long time
ago (I knew his son).

It occurred to me (but I never voiced the opinion) that if you set out to do
a double overhead cam conversion on an engine, presumably to increase it's
RPM range as part of increased power production, it just MIGHT not be a good
idea to start with an engine that was quite as agricultural as the old Austin
truck engine, redline of what, 4800 rpm if memory serves.

Make it rev, no problem. Keep it's vital organs inside the crankcase when it
revs - another problem altogether. Damned thing probably had a longer stroke
than anything else that comes to mind except the AC Ace engine, and IT was
designed before the First war.

Bill Spohn
(who has to exercise caution in keeping the bits where they belong with only
an 89 mm stroke)