Re: Entry To Monterey Historics....2001...need help.

To: N197TR4@cs.com, ok3wire@ixpres.com, donqueen@Inreach.com
Subject: Re: Entry To Monterey Historics....2001...need help.
From: LMR356@aol.com
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2000 10:20:29 EST
Joe:  Great advice from Dave Mericle and Don Queen. I think you have a great
project going and something that would add to the significance of the
Monterey Historics.

I can relate my own experience for whatever it's worth.   I applied
early...for my 356A coupe ( Sebring /LeMans team car replica) for the 1998
Monterey Historics' Porsche Tribute.  Put together a short, crisp bio and
selected a great professional profile photo (with permission from the
photographer).  Filled out the entry info clearly and presented a personal
statement for why I thought my Porsche and I would be appreciated at the
Monterey Historics for the 50th Anniversary Porsche Tribute.

This is very similar to sending in an application for your kid's college
acceptance.
The SAT scores are substituted with your "clean driving" record and
membership in good standing.   You need not be a member of HMOs to be
accepted. ( I was, however, a member of  the VSCCA, SVRA, HSR and the Vintage
Motorsports Council (VMC) ...which serves all the national vintage
organizations as an informational resource forum).  And then you wait....as
the applicants outnumber the grid slots by over two to one.  Keeping in mind
that because perhaps one-half of the total grid slots at Monterey are annual
repeaters .. your acceptance chances are reduced even more!

So...when the General Racing letter arrives...it's just like the college
acceptance/rejection thing.   A thin letter..means you can now double clutch
right into depression.   A fat letter....means that you have to figure out a
way to transport your car to the West coast in August!  And.... Hooray for
your side!!

It's definitely worth the effort.   Being at the Monterey Historics was
certainly the best overall experience in my 15 years of vintage racing!  I'm
looking forward to applying again with my A-B in the future!

P.S. ...hopefully Steve and Debbie Earle will also be reading about the great
support you are getting from the vintage-race@autox.team.net devotees.....and
will give you a big thumbs up!    Best of luck!

Lee Raskin
Brooklandville, MD
Arnolt-Bristol and 356ers