Re: Entry To Monterey Historics....2001...need help.

To: N197TR4@cs.com
Subject: Re: Entry To Monterey Historics....2001...need help.
From: Simon Favre <simon@mondes.com>
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2000 11:20:59 -0800
One of the best pieces of advice I could give is for Robert Ames to sign
up for a mid-winter course at one of the well known drivers schools, like
Russell, Bondurant, etc. Being a graduate of a professional racing school
will help a newcomer get accepted into the event, and keep everybody safe.
The mid-winter courses are also usually given at discount rates! The event
application has a space for driving schools and other experience. It's not
good if you have nothing to put down.

As for applying, yes, it's a gamble. Book the hotel rooms NOW, or January
at the latest. I would hold off on joining HMSA until January. It's an
annual membership. As was pointed out, you don't have to join, but it
helps, IMO. They will send you a full set of event applications in January.
It might also help to run one of the HMSA club events before the Historics.
That way, they get to see the car, and how the driver handles himself
before they select the cars for Monterey. One of the little known benefits
of HMSA membership is that even if you're not in the event, you can go into
the drivers lounge area overlooking Turn 1 on the front straight at Laguna.
It's quite a view.

I actually prefer the Wine Country Classic to Monterey. The amenities at
Monterey were second to none, but you get very little track time for all
the trouble and expense. The Wine country event is also a Steve Earle
spectator event, but it's in May at Sears Point. I'm a regular there.

Simon Favre
'58 Bourgeault Formula Junior