Re: Bearing bolts

To: Phil.Roettjer@quantum.com, morgans@autox.team.net,
Subject: Re: Bearing bolts
From: JWoesvra@aol.com
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2000 11:10:04 EST
In a message dated 12/27/00 6:16:09 AM Pacific Standard Time,
Phil.Roettjer@quantum.com writes:

<<  For some reason I always feel more secure if
 there is something solid there to secure the bolt. Is the torque force (7.5
 gm meter or about 55 ft lbs) sufficient to assure that they will not vibrate
 free? Would anyone recommend drilling small holes in the bolt head to accept
 safety wire? Should Locktite be used on the bolt threads?

 All replies appreciated.
 Happy holidays!
 Phil Roettjer
 53 Lotus 6
 67 MGB
 67 Morgan +4 >>

Most people who build GOOD British racing motors do not use any of the
locking devices. Clean, lightly oileds threads and good quality bolts or nuts
is all you need if properly torqued.

The lock tabs are too soft and they will compress. Then you will lose torque
and clamping of the bearing insert. The tab will keep the loose fastener from
coming off, but your bearings will no longer hold the crank and you will have
a failure before long. I don't recommend Loctite for rod or crank cap
fasteners. It is great for flywheel and pulley bolts.

Leaned from years of experience.

Jack Woehrle