Tow vehicle dilemma over

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Tow vehicle dilemma over
From: Henry Frye <thefryes@iconn.net>
Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2001 08:06:26 -0500
Thanks to everyone who responded a few weeks ago to my question on Ford's
V10 and it's suitability as a tow vehicle engine.

For the record, everyone who responded to me gave me positive feedback on
the Ford V10. It was suggested if I bought one now would be a good time to
buy stock in a major oil company though. Mileage while towing was reported
from a few people around 8 mpg fully loaded, very low teens empty.

The overwhelming response was the diesel crowd with the advice to put up
with the noise of the diesel and enjoy all it's other benefits.  I was
thinking the smell, limited availability of diesel pumps at gas stations,
17 quart oil changes, etc. So I test drove Ford F350's with the gas V10 and
the Powerstroke diesel back to back, and the Powerstroke inspired lots more
confidence that it could pull anything. So much more confidence I bought one.

Now I am thinking of installing a waste oil heating system in the shop to
get rid of all this used motor oil!   <kidding>

Cheers.
Henry Frye - thefryes@iconn.net   -   TR4 #05
http://members.iconn.net/~thefryes/race/raceintro.html