Safety

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Safety
From: <john.r.hildebrand@us.pwcglobal.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 12:25:32 -0800
Certainly this emphasizes that we are participating in a potentially deadly
sport, and that buying proven safety equipment is cheap insurance.  While I
am not sure the most expensive is always the best, as you pay for name, fit
and finish like with a car, we should all take the SFI and FIA ratings
seriously.  Now would be a good time for all of us to check the belts,
cage, fire system, seat and mounting, headrest, suit, helmet and such to
make sure you feel good about past choices made.

Also, I think it is a little early in the investigation to assume the belts
"failed" due to their manufacture vs. potential damage.  Let's give Simpson
a break, as they have apparently never "failed" before.  See his statement
at CNNSI.

On a last subject, I read that a college linebacker died today after
practice.  Other sports can also be deadly, but not in such an obvious way.
It would also be interesting to figure out how auto racing compares on a
per mile basis to driving on the street.  Maybe someone on list knows?

Brian Evans <brian@uunet.ca> on 02/26/2001 01:36:21 PM

Please respond to Brian Evans <brian@uunet.ca>