Re: Lecture from Uncle Don/Clark Comments

To: donqueen@Inreach.com, vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Lecture from Uncle Don/Clark Comments
From: MHKitchen@aol.com
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 20:59:04 EST
Don:

You're being unusually kind!  Are you ill??

But I agree, even though I'm still catching my breath about the Jim Clark
question.  For the uninformed, I'd recommend either watching for a special on
SpeedVision (aka  BoatVision for all the damn times I've turned it on looking
for car stuff and finding boats....aaaarrrggghh!), or go to Amazon.com, or
Classicmotorbooks catalog and buy the Jim Clark documentary video.  Its
AMAZING!!!...with footage of him in everything from F1 cars to his
inspirational driving style in the Locort (with wheels in the air).  FYI, he
also STARTED his career in a 356 Porsche (us Cortina guys were trying to keep
this a secret...we didn't want to see his reputation tarnished by actually
admitting he drove a Krautmobile).  His car was recently restored...the log
book had it in something like 37 events in 18 months!  And, it was his street
car! (This was prior to him hooking up with Colin Chapman).

It was interesting watching the Goodwood race on BoatVision last night with
the Galaxie's, Falcon's and Cortina's.  Even though some of the racers were
"giving it a go", they still didn't look nearly as fast or exciting as the
old films of some of the same cars doing it in their day....Do you suppose it
has a lot to do with the quality of the video equipment today???.....or did
they really go faster on the skinny, non-sticky tires???  I wish I could
4-wheel drift across the entire track and then some, in every corner, like
they did!!

Regards,
Myles H. Kitchen
1965 Lotus (BoatVision Subscriber) Cortina Mk1 #128