Re: Greatest Events!!!!!

To: Tombread@aol.com
Subject: Re: Greatest Events!!!!!
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 12:48:03 EST
In a message dated 28/02/01 9:38:53 AM Pacific Standard Time,
Tombread@aol.com writes:

> For my first spectate, I went to the staging area and
> stood between the cars, back from the Christmas tree. A couple fuel
> dragsters
> were staged.  I had no ear protection, wore contact lenses, had no idea
> what
> to expect.  When the cars left the line the ground vibrated, my contact
> lenses melted (!), I think I bled from the ears and I am sure there was a
> wet
> spot where I was standing.

Back in the 70s, racing at SIR, we used to camp at the track (barely able to
whump up an entry fee, much less motel in those days), and watched the
evening drags. Next morning, I used to go out on the track early in the
morning for a walk, and pick up valve heads, sections of connecting rods,
etc., down near the end of the quarter.

Sort of like watching a fire-breather - impressive, but I always wondered
why. Bread and circuses, I guess, just without the same degree of violence
you'd have found at the Circus Maximus (and fewer lions, too).

Bill