Re: Greatest Events!!!!!

To: <WSpohn4@aol.com>, <Tombread@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Greatest Events!!!!!
From: "Ron Yates" <dipstickdigest@ctaz.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 12:39:54 -0700
Can't resist this thread

    First drag race was at Santa Ana (Airport),with the "Clunkers Car Club"
of  Fullerton in '49. Neat spot. Art Chrisman was running that day and a of
the new '49 Fords that we were all drooling over. Afterward we would drive
down McArthur Blvd. on way to Corona Del Mar for burgers and shakes at Tip's
Drive-in on PCH. The Buffalo were, at the time, still on the open range that
is now UC Irvine. They were later moved to Catalina Island.
    Highlight of the period was riding as "ballast" in the trunk of Dick
Guenthers '40 Ford Coupe "ol' Red Eye" on one of his runs at Saugus shortly
before they closed the strip for drag racing (shut down distance kept
getting shorter). I didn't get to watch the race from Dick's vantage point,
but through an opening in the floor of the trunk!
    Last race was in Ridgecrest ('56). My buddy and I drove up from North
Hollywood, in my '47 Plymouth Business coupe, and pitched our sleeping bags
in one of the local church's parking lot to spend the night. I had to find
easy-in, easy-out parking as my reverse gear had gone south.
    We couldn't do that today without being run in as vagrants or surrounded
by the local swat team.

Ron Yates, Editor
The Dipstick Digest
Newsletter of the world's smallest Austin Healey club