Re: 13/13 and 7/10

To: Peter van Rossum <peterv@tri-county.main.nc.us>
Subject: Re: 13/13 and 7/10
From: Jim Hayes <hayes@mediaone.net>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 00:21:25 -0500
The Vintage Sports Car Club of America, the most authentic-era oriented
club in the US has a number of cars racing in its events even today that
contradict this philosophy. During the 50s, the people who started this
group were racing a number of 30s to 50s era cars with more modern
American V8 transplants or blowers. Men like John Fitch build specials
out of cars like Jags to get higher performance. The 60s were full of
such specials, which spawned the USRRC and Can-Am. Building "specials"
was a high art. I helped build a few myself.
Vintage racing, as it is being defined here, is "showroom stock" with a
little of "SCCA production" prep.
I was involved heavily in SCCA racing in the 60s and I can assure you we
used the latest technology (I wrote computer programs to calculate
exhaust header tuning) and read the rulebooks very carefully.
Every year, about this same time, I say the same thing: More rules make
more cheaters.
Hey, Spring is coming. Why aren't we in the garage getting ready for the
first race instead of jawing on this BS?
Ciao,
Jim

PS: A proposal for vintage race groups: Institute a new class: Vintage
specials. Rules would be that the basic parts and techniques used to
build the car must be at least 30 years old. No tubs, aerodynamics or
slicks. The car must be proposed to the group for pre-approval before
construction to prevent disputes.
I'll be first in line to get my design approved!