Re: Race Engines in Street Cars

To: Rogsie@telesistech.com, WSpohn4@aol.com, vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Race Engines in Street Cars
From: MGVADICK@aol.com
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 12:48:10 EDT
Roger, Re FWA use in a race car application, I have a different story. My
research indicates that Cyril Kieft was the first to put the FWA Climax into
a race car. Chapman, Cooper and Harry Lester all did like wise in 1954. A
development of the FW (feather weight) in production in 1951 at 1020cc, the
FWA race car debut was at the 1954 LeMans race where it was fitted to a Kieft
to run in the 1100cc class. The car ran over 10 hours before non engine
related problems took them out. Later that same summer, two Kiefts and a
Lotus raced at the Dundrod TT with the 1100cc FWA. Ferguson and Rippon took
the class win in their Kieft to give the Climax engine its first success.
Ref. Climax in Coventry by Walter Hassan - Pg. 78