Midget Auction in Aurora, Ohio

To: "Ross Fosbender" <rossf@interaccess.com>,
Subject: Midget Auction in Aurora, Ohio
From: "Vaughn Rockney" <vintagegarage@erols.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2001 23:08:59 -0400
Gordon and Ross,
  I'm back empty handed from the midget auction in Aurora, Ohio.  The
Kurtis-Kraft/Offy on the trailer sold for $24,000 or $25,000 and the next
two midgets were in the same ballpark.  The best deal was the KK body and
frame on the stand, which by auction time, included most parts to finish it
except for the motor and in-out box.  I think it sold for $6,000.  I'd have
paid that for it with motor and box, so I wasn't even close.  All eight of
the extra offy motors sold in the range of $5,000 each and up.   About 20
cardboard trays of assorted midget bits went for in the neighborhood of $400
each, and I didn't see what the cabinet full of pistons went for, nor the
cabinet will all the rear end parts.

  Looks like this isn't my year to get into vintage oval racing..

  As a side note, the town of Aurora is a most unfriendly place.  Cops were
everywhere telling people they couldn't park here and there, and at the
halfway point in the auction the church next door called in 8 tow trucks to
tow about 20 cars away that were parked on the grass.  The tow operators
seemed to enjoy their work as did the cops and neighbors who had great fun
at the out-of-towners expense.  Fortunately, I escaped the town with no
tickets or towing bills.

Vaughn