Engine limits?

Subject: Engine limits?
From: Mark Haynes <haynes386@netzero.net>
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2001 14:22:54 -0600
I have a question for those of you who have experience with testing an
engine's limits (hopefully I can avoid finding the upper limits for
mine).
    How do you establish an upper rev limit for an engine? and what
factors determine where you set your rev limiter?
    Case in point is this...I have a '62 Austin XSP motor (built for
Formula Junior). It was the factory"cheater motor" for the 1100cc limit.
It's' built on the 948 base-crank has 1 3/4" journals, and 3.00"stroke,
it's cross-drilled and has flow restrictors in the oil passages. To
achieve the 1100cc's, the factory (Eddie Maher & co.) bored these motors
to 2.65"-giving a displacement of 1096cc. It's got the 1100
full-floating rods, but they're not lightened, and an AEA649 cam, and
all of the go-fast period parts. When I build it, How do I establish how
high to rev it?(and not blow it). I can't find anyone who used to race
them who remembers what they used for an upper limit. I know that the
1275s have a tendancy to snap cranks,and I really don't want to do this
either.
    I'm planning on putting it in my '62 Sprite, I know the 1275s will
eat me up,but $#%@ happens

TIA, Mark Haynes
RMVR