Re: Weber question, Sprite cam

To: "Steve Schaeffer" <borrani@att.net>, <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Weber question, Sprite cam
From: Brian Evans <brian@uunet.ca>
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2001 09:15:42 -0400
Exactly.  The vacuum signal is "routed" to the idle ports only when the
throttles are closed.  Try going to the original chokes, see if anything is
blocked by the new chokes (unlikely, but...), try leaner idle jets, but if
the air screws work at all, then they are probably close enough, do the
normal stuff like blowing out the jets and drill-ways for crud (some of the
drill ways and jet orifices are pretty damn small in the idle section.

Then, do an experiment with the timing.  Try swinging the timing to see if
a different idle timing setting can make it idle well.  If so, then you can
modify the centrifugal timing mechanism to add or reduce the low speed
timing relative to the maximum timing that is what you worry about above
4000 rpm.  You probably want a lot more advance at low speeds.  My last
motor (one of the Martin's) idled fantastic - it had a distributor that was
locked at 44 degrees BTDC...

FWIW, my new 1600 ford race motor will not idle below 2000 rpm, no way no
how.  If I try for a 1200 - 1500 rpm idle it loads up and dies.  My
solution is to idle it at 2000 rpm...:)

Brian

At 02:41 AM 6/7/01 -0400, Steve Schaeffer wrote:
>At idle, how would the engine know what chokes it has?  The throttles are
>closed.
>
>After it dies, what do the plugs look like?  Too rich?
>
>Steve S.

Brian Evans
Director, Canada
MCI Wholesale Internet Services