Re: Where's Marlboro?

To: "Jeff Brown" <jeffb49@yahoo.com>,
Subject: Re: Where's Marlboro?
From: "Reynolds" <grant62@starpower.net>
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2001 09:25:33 -0500
There is a shopping center across 301 from the track, and there are housing
developments "all around". In fact, a 1971(yes, seventy one) attempt to
reopen the track was defeated by nearby homeowners. On the other hand, the
track was never developed as a shopping center as intended because it was
below the water table (we call it wetland now) and much of the land to the
East of it is wetland or parkland. So it still seems to be out in the
country (I was there last year), even though it's been subsumed by urban
sprawl as one would expect. The track closed because SCCA disapproved it,
not because of sprawl per se.
    What class were you in at the 69 National? I was crewing on a Zink FV,
rented because the engine for the new one I had just built (for Lee Talbot)
hadn't arrived from Zink in time. Our car made it to VIR three weeks later.
Grant Reynolds