helmets

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: helmets
From: Alfred Kobacker <alfred@ajkco.com>
Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2001 07:53:31 -0500
I have not followed the thread closely, and apologize if what follows is
redundant or off-topic, but wanted to throw out one observation.  Over the
past few years I have spent far more time on motorcycles than I have in
race cars, as Geoff Heller can readily attest.  In the course of it all, I
have tried, and purchased, several helmets.  In my perception, the quality
and technical development of helmets typical in the motorcycling sector is
far and away superior to what I've seen, and owned, designed specifically
for car racing.

In terms of fit, features (removable and fittable liners, visor
replacement, venting systems), aerodynamics, weight, and noise levels,
helmets like the Arai or top of the line Shoei, are in my opinion in
another league from the Bells I've owned.  I've never owned a Simpson, as I
could never get a good fit with them... On the other hand, I have been able
to get a good fit on many different models of motorcycle helmets.

I am trying to imagine a reason why a motorcycle helmet would not somehow
provide appropriate protection for car racing, and can't think of one...
though there may be one...  I have noted some car racers using
Arai...  Anyway, perhaps they're worth a look.

-A