Fwd: RE: Helmets

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Fwd: RE: Helmets
From: Alfred Kobacker <alfred@ajkco.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2001 09:03:48 -0500
Some great responses since posting my initial musings on bike
helmets...  This last, in particular, is probably definitive...  Leaves me
with this thought... to the extent that any of the motorcycle helmet
companies (such as Arai, Shoei, Suomy) do produce SA rated helmets , even
without having seen them in person, I'd strongly recommend checking them
out.  Arai makes the finest M helmets I've ever seen or used, and they do
make SA helmets.

(http://www.araiamericas.com/home.html).

Perhaps because (I'm guessing) the "M"  helmet industry is much bigger than
the "SA", and because there are dozens of makers worldwide of M helmets and
only a handful of SAs, the folks playing in the M field have had to be more
innovative and progressive to get market share, and can possibly
manufacture with greater economies of scale and also justify more R&D,
technology, and tooling... the result, it seems to me, is that the helmets
are more advanced and better made.

Anyway, thanks to all for the education!  Great group.

-A

>From: "Larry Hoy" <larryhoy@prodigy.net>

<snip>

> >From the Snell site <http://www.smf.org/faqs.html#Q5> :
>
>What are the differences between the SA and M standards?
>
>SA Standard was designed for auto racing while M Standard was for
>motorcycling and other motorsports. There are three major differences
>between them:

<snip>