Re: [MGB Kingpin in MGA (and other shocking topics)

To: WSpohn4@aol.com, MGVR@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [MGB Kingpin in MGA (and other shocking topics)
From: Brian Evans <brian@uunet.ca>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 11:20:23 -0500
I'm relatively happy to see disc brakes on production cars that would have
had drums, and I consider putting them on to be a safety item, only if they
are period fitment in style.  My thinking is that while the drum brakes are
more original, and there is a terrific argument to be made that one should
drive within the capabilities of the car, I think that coping with the
characteristics of drum brakes in a racing environment requires a quite
high level of both driver and preparation skill.  Rather than depending on
a drivers ability to cope with fade and uneven brakes pulling to one side
or the other I'd like him to fit the discs, which he is far more familiar
with from all of his other driving experience,  and make the track safer
for me!  I don't agree with upgrading existing disc brakes to bigger discs,
larger calipers, etc., when the originals are adequate.

I say relatively happy, because while perhaps practical this goes against
the idea of preserving the cars as they were.  BTW, I'm pretty sure that
the Healey 100-S was 4 cylinder and 4 wheel disc brakes.

Brian

BTW, I disagree with this new rule of having to edit replies.  Sure, that's
appropriate in many cases, but certainly not in all.

Brian Evans
Director, Canada
MCI Wholesale Internet Services