Re: Discs or drums

To: Michael_Gee@telus.net, vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Discs or drums
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2001 17:12:23 EST
In a message dated 30/11/01 1:29:56 PM Pacific Standard Time,
Michael_Gee@telus.net writes:

> I mentioned the special tracks with altitude
> differences,  and the fact that drum brakes (or ancient poor discs) are
> not as safe as modern discs in the current vintage racing world.

It would seem from the responses that few drivers have experience with tracks
of such fierce elevation change that drums become a decided liability.

 I'm
> still sticking to my proposal that if a driver wants to  upgrade to
> discs for a car that did not have them as original equipment,  then
> local vintage authorities should allow them for safety purposes.
> Safety for the driver, other drivers, and flag personnel is of prime
> importance.

I am somewhat ambivalent on this issue. While I can live without ever having
another car lose it's drum brakes while under braking right behind me (the
Twincam still bears the scars from a gratuitous attack by a Formula V, which
on normal tracks I should NOT be able to out-brake), I also have some
sympathy for the opinion that says that if you want a disc brake car, buy one
that came with them.

How's that for fence-sitting?

Bill

(PS - for an idea of what elevation change can do, look at the drum brake
Corvettes, as the trouble they have on flat tracks due to speed and weight
approximate the effects of elevation change on lighter drum braked cars).