Calling all gearbox gurus...

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Calling all gearbox gurus...
From: Nicholas Froome <listreader@pvision.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2003 22:53:57 +0000
This is an X-Post with the Triumphs list

Calling all gearbox gurus... I have a UK supplier for a TR4 close-ratio gearbox
gearset. They're helical-cut gears, work with ordinary synchros, etc, and
they're not expensive

I think that means the "close-ratio gearset" is made up of easily available
bits from other boxes

So, any ideas what? The ideal would be a slightly lower third and fourth, I
think, if I keep the OD

On the subject of overdrives, has anyone tried changing the OD ratio? 3rd over
is just 4% different to 4th, if I remember the ratios correctly. If we make the
gap between 2nd & 3rd (and 3rd & 4th) closer, then the overdrive won't sit
between the gears - 3rd over will likely be taller than 4th!

Ideally we'd use the OD to split the gaps exactly between gears - so we'd need
a lower step-up in the OD

All ideas gratefully received!

Nick Froome
http://www.bolide.co.uk