Re: Calling all gearbox gurus...

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Calling all gearbox gurus...
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2003 21:17:00 EST
In a message dated 3/16/03 3:05:14 PM Pacific Standard Time,
listreader@pvision.co.uk writes:

> I think that means the "close-ratio gearset" is made up of easily available
> bits from other boxes
>
> So, any ideas what? The ideal would be a slightly lower third and fourth, I
> think, if I keep the OD
>
> On the subject of overdrives, has anyone tried changing the OD ratio? 3rd
> over is just 4% different to 4th, if I remember the ratios correctly. If we
> make the gap between 2nd & 3rd (and 3rd & 4th) closer, then the overdrive
> won't sit between the gears - 3rd over will likely be taller than 4th!
>
> Ideally we'd use the OD to split the gaps exactly between gears - so we'd
> need a lower step-up in the OD

The factory close ratio gears are quite rare - you can tell them by the
bronze coloured edges of the gear teeth,

I wonder what the ratios are on the ones for sale - if they just got a set
out of a saloon or something, and the ratios are different than the TR, but
not really close ratio, don't bother.

As for the OD - with a true close ratio set you will only be using it in 4th
gear - you waste more time splitting the other ratios than it will gain you.

Bill