Re: Elva Mk 1b

To: Martin.Knight@pfizer.com, Marc_Douezy@COMPUSERVE.COM, sarl45@hotmail.com,
Subject: Re: Elva Mk 1b
From: PaceCars@aol.com
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 23:18:04 EST
Hi Martin,
Not sure how you found me/us, but I have some info on them. I had a Mk1b back
in the early 1980s. It had the early DeDion rear end. The early ones had
angled locating arms and no Panhard rod or sliding link. As I recall the
later ones had a different locating device. Mine had originally had an
aluminum differential housing (same as Lotus 11) with inboard Triumph brakes
with Alfin drums. Up front mine had fabricated A-arms (I understand earlier
ones had production car A-arms). Steering rack was Morris Minor. Mine had
been equipped with a Climax FWA and MG-TC gearbox (with close-ratio gears),
although it was later raced with a Buick V-8, a Volvo 4-cyl and a Datsun
engine. It was unusual in that the chassis plate (on the lower front frame
cross member) said "Mk.II Sebring". I was told this was because three cars
were shipped here for Sebring, but got here late and had bolt-on wheels (not
good for enduro races). Since they got here after the race the American
importer refused the cars and they were returned to the factory, fitted with
knock-off wire wheels and resold as Mk.II Sebrings. Don't know if this is
true, but I relayed this story to Don Kruzan (of the Elva registry) who at
least didn't laugh, so maybe there is something to it. Like all MK.Ib models,
it had a Falcon fiberglass body. I sold the car in the mid-1980s and I think
Don knows where it is.
Best wishes,
Harold Pace