Re: Use of Charging Systems

To: NELIUS@aol.com, JWoesvra@aol.com, dmeadow@juno.com,
Subject: Re: Use of Charging Systems
From: MHKitchen@aol.com
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 11:58:43 EST
To all:

I, for one, also recommend using charging systems.  However, with today's
engines, sometimes the charging systems require some "updating".   I
converted my Lotus Cortina from positive ground to negative, just to be more
compatible with components.  The original LUCAS generator was about as
reliable as you would expect, and couldn't handle high revs (the twin cam can
often reach 9K).  Even with altered pulleys, the generator was about as
useful as ...a LUCAS generator, aka boat anchor.

So, it was replaced with a modern alternator (from a Geo something), which is
reliable, stays together, and actually charges.  I have a switch to turn it
off, but never do.  My car runs better at 14V, than the typcial 10-12V that
you get it you just run on the battery.  I agree that items like electric
fuel pumps, ignitions, starters, transponders, fans, etc. etc. are all going
to work better with a higher, reliable system voltage (you're actually
getting a bit of a power boost from higher ignition energy at 14V vs. 12V or
less).  The horsepower drain is neglible (I've tried it ON and OFF), and
frankly, I can't tell the difference.  But I can tell the difference if I
leave it off and then let the battery voltage drop.....power declines, high
speed misfiring starts, and you can't restart.

And, believe me, nothing is a worse feeling than sitting on the grid on
Sunday, when you've qualified in one of the top 3 spots, and hit the the
starter to join the field, and then......nothing.  Which is also a reason to
lose that LUCAS starter...but that's a whole different topic!

Regards,
Myles H. Kitchen
1965 Lotus (still charging) Cortina Mk1 #128