Re: Allowable Exceptions?

To: MHKitchen@aol.com, s800racer@earthlink.net, chkangmd@earthlink.net,
Subject: Re: Allowable Exceptions?
From: "Mark Palmer" <mgvrmark@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 18:53:56 +0000
>From: MHKitchen@aol.com
>
>to allow certain modifications that generally "make life safer and easier"
>for the vintage racer.  ... most would not be if the SCCA GCRs were
>enforced to the letter.  There must be room for >exceptions to accomodate
>the vintage racer for the reasons cited above.  Does anyone else agree
> >with this??
>
>Regards,
>Myles H. Kitchen
>1965 Lotus Cortina Mk1 #128

MYLES,

I agree 100% ... the SCCA GCR's were never intended to be used for "vintage
racing" 30 or 40 years after they were written.  They were intended to apply
to relatively contemporary vehicles, with relatively few miles & races under
their belts, and for which new, factory parts were readily available. Even
the brilliant minds at SCCA headquarters could never have imagined the scene
as it exists today.

It is senseless to try to apply 1960's rules verbatim, to 2003 vintage
racing, when it comes to safety & reliability issues.  Far too much has been
learned in the meantime, and to ignore that knowledge would be foolish.

I do believe that most vintage clubs understand that -- most, I think, would
allow most (or all) of the modifications you describe.

IMHO, the old GCR's and PCS's are useful reference documents, primarily as a
guide to allowable performance modifications.  But that is the extent of
their usefulness.

Mark Palmer